Catalytic converter thefts go on to be a main problem across North The united states, and this extends past private driveways. Parking tons, even ones that had been perfectly-lit, are getting strike now. So do car or truck dealerships on a regular foundation.
Thieves are captivated to catalytic converters because of to the treasured metals they contain, namely platinum, palladium and rhodium. While nowhere near its all-time large of all-around $35,000 CAD for each ounce established in March 2021, rhodium is presently valued at $12,300 for every ounce in accordance to Metals Daily, producing it about 4.5 times additional beneficial than gold.
In the U.S., Carfax lately executed a deep-dive evaluation to locate out which autos were most usually specific by catalytic converter robbers very last yr. Other than the addition of the Toyota Tacoma and Ford Explorer, the checklist remained fairly dependable from 2021 to 2022:
- Ford F-Sequence
- Honda Accord
- Toyota Prius
- Honda CR-V
- Ford Explorer
- Ford E-Series
- Chevrolet Equinox
- Chevrolet Silverado
- Toyota Tacoma
- Chevrolet Cruze
More substantial automobiles are prime targets for two obvious motives. 1, their catalytic converters are even bigger. Two, their greater floor clearance will make it less complicated to steal them. Even so, as the checklist exhibits, little cars like the Prius and Cruze are big-time targets, as well. In the situation of the Prius, extra important metals are essential for a hybrid’s catalytic converter given that the combustion engine doesn’t run as normally and the exhaust doesn’t get as very hot.
Guidelines to Avoid Catalytic Converter Theft
Waking up one early morning and obtaining out that your catalytic converter was stolen can be upsetting. By the way, you’d detect its absence suitable away since your car would get pretty noisy and would deliver additional smoke than normal, not to mention your motor functioning irregularly at all speeds.
Changing a catalytic converter can price tag hundreds, even thousands of bucks. If your insurance policy policy does not address it, this can set a complete in your wallet! So, to avert your catalytic converter from being stolen, below are some safety measures you can consider:
- If you have a garage, keep your vehicle in it as normally as doable
- Park it in a very well-lit space, towards a wall or near to other reduced automobiles
- Contemplate installing movement-activated lights
- Have your VIN engraved on your catalytic converter and spray it with a bright heat resistant paint to discourage thieves and make the resale more complicated at the scrapyard
- Get an anti-theft system. Some appear like wire mesh cages that can be bolted all over the catalytic converter. A Kevlar and steel wire strap that is pretty tricky to minimize can also be included.